Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 39 - Full circle..plus some

As I mentioned in yesterday's bloggy thing, I arrived in Puerta Vallarta in the wee hours of Wednesday, under the light of a full moon. This was to be my last day i Mexico and I wanted to enjoy it. I contimplated many things from going to the Mayan Palace and floating the lazy river, toswimming in the ocean, to going to my favorite beach, Sayulita. But I wound up doing is going back to downtown Puerta Vallarta visting the malecon (the beachfront boardwalk) and doing a little last minute gift buying. Things hadn't changed much in my two week absence. Their was a large number of tourists downtown, mainly because there were two cruiseships in port. Speaking of cruiseships, I sat and watched as a cruiseship dock, it is a very impressive sight. They come in under their own power, and literally turn the boat around 180 degrees at the center axis in the middle of a small harbor and then back the boat into the dock. Fore and aft lines are then given to a small harobr tender boat, cleated, and then all 14 lines were winched in. Time seems to disappear here with the hustle and bustle of the street life.

I had gotten a message to Doug, my now Bucerius-rooted friend from home, that I would meet him at Larrys at 2 pm so I headed out on the local bus. I jumped on the first north-bound bus. This old bus was as rickety as any bus I'd ridden, including some pretty dilapated busses in San Miguel. I figured I'd share my experience by recording it on my cell phone. I was able to captured the rattling windows, the bone jarring bouncing, the flow of egressing and ingressing passengers and a little bit of what was happening on the sidewalks below. But the best part, totally unrehearsed, was a blind street musician boarded at one of the stops, using his white cane felt his way to empty seat. There he stood, with his back to an upright pole, and played a song on his guitar, while he sang the lyrics. I haven't had a chance to put the video on the blog, but that's on my list of things to do.

I arrived at the Mayan Resort about a half hour early and because I wasn't sure if Larry was still staying in the same room, I went to the pool, where I figured I would run into Larry's wife - Diane. Not only was she there, so were a couple from Salmon Arm B.C. We spent the next half hour playing catch-up, telling them of my adventures in middle of Mexico. It made me glad that I struck out on my own and ventured into the heart of Mexico. Turns out Larry was up in his room, so I took the quick elevator ride to the eighth floor, and filled him in on everything. Because Mike is a common friend, I made sure that I filled him in on everything. I'm not sure, but I think Larry missed me, as my adventures (and misadventures) kept him entertained for the whole three weeks I was PV bound. Never did see Doug, and I guess Larry never did after I left for San Miguel. In my emails with him, it sounds like he's having a great time at the beach and making new friends. Each of us came here for different reasons. Mine just happen to be REALLY different.

After taking a short nap, Larry and I were off to the bus stop. We were force to take taxi to the airport if I wanted to get to the airport on time. The bus that came was packed with some very large tourists. This might be a little insensitive, but I guess I can't leave without saying somethng. The tourists that I'd seen in PV during my three weeks in PV, especially the cruiseship types, are on average one hundred pounds over weight, and that's just he women...who knows about the men. As they Walk down the sidewalks, they waddle like ducks. Ok, got that off my chest.

Once at the airport, We unload my suitcase that had been at Larrys the last two weeks and I take a bus several miles to retrieve my backpack and computer case from the luggage check-in at the bus depot. Hopped a taxi and I was back in about twenty minutes. This is where things get a little...hmm...how should I say it...maybe a self fullfilling prophecesy. Turns out in my sleep deprived brain I mixed up the arrival time in Denver with the departure time in Puerta Vallarta. I quess deep down, I didn't want to leave Mexico quite yet. Oh well, one extra day in Mexico never hurt anyone. I try not to let the little stuff bother me and I'll be danged if this discourages me...as it's only a one hundred dollar mistake. Of course I'm not on a plane yet, so best not push it.

Larry and I go to our favorite taco stand across from the airport, and have a combination shrimp, marlin and octopus burrito, washed down with a corona. Larry headed off to the market for some grocery shopping and I on a taxi to my favorite motel - Hotel Jalisco, the place I spent my first three days. It was fitting this is where I started my stay in Puerta Vallarta and hopefully be where it's ending. I checked in, deposited my bags, went next door to the local corner grocery store and purchased my ritulistic can of Corona and headed to Sergio's cybercafe a few blocks away. It felt good to be in my old neighborhood. I think they missed me. as we shook hands, smiled and in our own languages conveyed, that it was good to see each other. I found my usual chair and desk and caught up on email and made a few phone calls. Tongight there was a big soccer game between a mexican team and one from South America. It was intereting, as this place is a local hangout, where groups of youths and adolescent men, would stop socialize, make a comment on the soccer game, and then disappear out the front door. I felt honored to be able to witness life such as this in a middle-class Mexican neighborhood. This is the Mexico that I will go home remembering. Soveneers are great but it's the memories of a culture, the day-to-day living, the sights, sounds and smells from the sidewalk, that I will remember the most. In my correspondance with others, I find that their is a misconception about Mexico and the Mexican People. I guess in a small way maybe I shared some of those unfounded ideas, but after five weeks here and two thousand miles of travel, I have a whole new opinion.

Mexicans are, in my opinion, extremely hard working, happy, devotedly religious, centered around community and especially. The elderly are well looked after, as are the children, though maybe just a bit spoiled. I don't know how many times I saw the fathers tending to their children, in a playful manner. I was able to silently observe at bus stations, town squares, local barios or neighborhoods, and other types of social settings. If you ever have the chance to visit Mexico, or any other country, even the different areas of the United States, get out, sit on a bench in a park and watch. Go to a grocery store, and yes even Wal-mart or McDonalds, and just watch. If you are like me, you will witness, humanity at it's finest, humblest roots. Take in a movie at a local theater, in the native language, hopefully with english subtitles. And if you are extremely adventorous, try talking to someone on the street. You may not be able express exactly what you'd intended, but you will learn something about humanity, as we all want to be able to communicate and more importantly, to be understood. Many times, I personally, had to be creative to get my point across, drawing on a piece of paper, pointing at something, or making an expression. Rarely did I ever have to walk away without being understood, and if so, a shrug of the shoulders seems to be a universal sign of surrender.

Till tomorrow...and my last day in Mexico...oops...said that before.

No comments: