Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 26 - Day 2 in SMA

Mike having a later start today, we took off into town about 10am and after about a 10 minure ride into town, we parted ways and agreed to meet back up around 3 at Cafe Etc. I'm staring to know my way town after yesterday's adventures. I headed straight for the center of town- referred to as the Jardin - pronouced hardeen. From the street many of the buildings all look the same, it's only once you get by the outer door or wall that things open up.

The contrast between the daytime and evening temperatures here is drastic as the mornings are not much warmer than freezing, while daytime temperatures are inn the low 80's. So a jacket is necessary in the morning, it's a hindrance by about noon. Not sure why I mentioned this other than maybe if you find yourself down this way during this time of year, be sure to bring a sweater or two, and long pants.

Being a ladventurous in this city helps tremoundously, as there is always this sense you're trespassing when you walk into an open door of a non-descript building. But as someone told me, if the door is open, chances are it's a public space. Today, my curiousity would be rewarded by Bellas Artes, an old two-story monastary converted to an art institute. The unmarked door opened up to a large courtyard complete with a small outdoor cafe and large tropical plants, including fruiting orange and lime trees. Around the courtyard were two stories of rooms of various sizes, each dedicated to some form of art from sculpture, woodcarving, oil and watercolor painting, piano, guitar, and at least two dozen other forms of art. I spent the better part of two hours, just looking at all the artforms represented and talking to a few of the artists- most who were Americans.

I love to just walk without a particular destination in mind, makes things spontaneous, though I'm sure that I wind up missing things that are "must see" tourist attractions...oh well. Today, I just started heading north, past the cathedral, and past countless shops. My guess there is VERY restrictive sign ordinance in SMA, as few if any shops have any signage either in fromt of their shops, so the only way to find out what's inside...is to go inside. It makes things interesting, especially not speaking spanish...part of the adventure I guess. Anyway, I walk the better part of a mile, and there is a very large open park at the bottom of the hill. Turns out every year, 40 days after Christmas I'm told is an event called candalria, where all the plant nurseries, from several hundred miles around, all set up shop for 10 days in this park. Plants of all sizes, colors, indoor and outdoor, cactuses, palms and thousands others are in abundance here. Though I didn't actually count the number of vendors, I'm sure it was in the hundreds. In addition, there was an extermely large selection of clay pots for sale here.

Taking a differernt route back to the Cathedral, I see what looks to be a large crowd, about 10 blocks away. Have to check that out!!! I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but alls I know is that I have never seen so many school age children in one place. There must have been 2,000 or more all milling around in what looked like a public market selling all kinds of products from food to clothes and cds. There must have also been 20 women, lined up against a brick wall cooking empanadas over gas stoves and also ice cream vendors working off small carts. I know one thing, the kids were having a great time.

One little side note - back at the park in front of the cathedral was this very hunched over man, looking very much the part of a street peasant, who must have been all of 80 years old, singing a song in spanish, at the top lungs. He was sitting a bench or two away from me and I was entertained for the better part of 30 minutes, not only by him but watching others reaction to him. Great entertainment!!!

I went back to Cafe Etc for lunch and wait for Mike to get off of work. On the way to the bus stop Mike treated me to some fresh tortillas from a local shop. For 10 pesos, 1 us dollar, you can get a kilo or 2 pounds of tortillas...yum...

Not much else to report, other than I watched a DVD called Frida. What an amazing woman she was. This movie was shot in Mexico and starred Salma Hayek. If you get a chance...check it out.

Images from today

Adios amigos

For the previous 24 days postings CLICK HERE . Someday they,, with all the pictures, will be incorporated with the www.adventureswithbob.com website.

No comments: