Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day 27 - February 8th - Atotonilco - A Day Like No Other

Today I was going to go into town, but not being familiar enough with the bus system, I decided to just have a low key day. But after talking to Mike's landlord for about an hour, he talked me into just jumping on the bus and giving it a go. But before I left, I decided to go for a short walk around the neighborhood. The further I walked the more interesting things got. Before I knew it I was about a mile away from home and discovered an old historic church called Sanctuary of Atotonilco. Here is a little clip I pulled from the internet -

The Sanctuary of Atotonilco is a little known Mexican treasure. The walls of the 18th century church are completely covered with paintings depicting Christ and his life and times. The church is a revered holy place for thousands of Mexicans who make yearly pilgrimmages here. Here's another link

Many of the structures around the church were in serious disrepair, almost looking as if they'd been bombed. In reading more on the internet this building was designinated by World Watch as one of the top 100 historical buildings in the WORLD...a mile walk from where I've been staying....and I happened apon it by accident.

I also walked beyound the city of Atotonilco, heading into the Mexican countryside, past simple homes, always with a dog out front, acting as alarm system. Most dogs are friendly but not always, as I found out today. This one black surly dog was not going to allow me past and there was only one way forward- past him. Just as I started to turn back, a couple with two small children in tow came around a corner. The man scolded the dog and in very good english informed that the dog wouldn't bite and his name was "niger". That name wouldn't float at home but here I quess it was ok.

I continued to walk for about another mile or so, past million dollar estates directly across the dirt road from a one room dilapated adobe hut. The disparity that I observed in Puerta Vallarta was much more pronouced here...often 50 yards apart. I'm not sure how someone in their right mind could fathom buiding such a place surrounded by such poverty. The old axiom in realty...
location...location...location...doesn't hold water here.

On my way back, I decide to explore things a little closer, this time actually going inside the church. Every square inch of this church was painted very ornately with religious depictions of ceremonies or saints. I don't know that I've ever been in as ornate church as this...absoutely incredible.

Next I probably had the most interpersonal (and homorous) experience with the locals in my almost four weeks in Mexico. Three women, probably all of seventy, dressed in brightly colored aprons were making and selling some type of tortilla, that were being cooked on a flat grill. One of the ladys informs me that they are called gorditas, the equivalent of a Mexican pita pocket. The gordittas to be made from blue corn and she fills them with a mixture of potatoes, chilis, chicken and prickly pear cactus or nopales. These three ladies were very entertaining as they tried there best to get me to understand. They would giggle like schoolgirls, talking amoungst themselves, as I sat, smiled and shrugged my shoulders. We were having a great time. The women that seemed to be the elder in the group convinced me to buy them all a soda...not a problem. I think they all sensed that i still had money in my wallet. As with home, I'm always willing to help out the local economy, even if it's 3,000 miles and a culture away.
.
Not much else to report today, as I just went back to my place and hung out with Mike and Magali the rest of the day.

Pictures from today

Hasta maƱana!!!

No comments: