Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day 28 - An afternoon in SMA

With Mike having Saturday off, we decided to take a late morning bus into San Miguel de Allende. One of the things that I find curious is that there are a number of bus systems all servicing the same area, each with a different fare system. Quite often the same route will be twice as much on another system. This morning for 6 pesos (or 60 cents) we catch one of the nicer busses heading into SMA. This particular bus took us directly to the large bus terminal, from where we had to take a city bus to the center of town.

The first order of business was to cash a travelers check. Turns out that there is a difference, though not substantial, exhange rate. After looking around comparing the "buy" rates, I finally see one that is higher than the rest. After signing it, I give it to the cashier, she informs the rate on American Express Travelers Checks is a not 10.70 pesos to the dollar, but instead, 10.30. Oh well, it's not alot of money. The world of high finance!!!

Mike spent the better part of an hour showing me around the center of town. I thought I'd seen most everything but it appears there was a whole segment of town, the northeast corner, that I'd somehow overlooked. Will have to come back next week and explore a little closer.

We then went over to Cafe Etc. I'm beginning to love this place, just for the simple fact, it's where a large portion of the English speaking tourists and ex-pats hang out. If only my Spanish was better and I wouldn't feel this way, but for now I find a connection here. Mike brought along his twelve string guitar and an assortment of his native flutes, and plays to about a dozen people sitting at tables scattered about. I've always enjoyed Mike's flute playing, remembering back to the first time I heard him at a makeshift stage in front of the Colville Chamber of Commerce, what must have been 10 years ago. I must sound like a broken record to Mike, as I encourage him once more to promote his music more aggresively. We still listen to his music at home, it has a soothing quality to it.

While there, a lady asks to sit at a vacant chair at our table. It turns out Barbara, is a Canadian, had just arrived several days earlier after two long days of planning her escape from the dreary Victoria's blustery winter weather. She ask to take several pictures and to also record Mike as he is playing. Turns out she is a published writer and is here on vacation. Barbara gives both Mike and I a business card with her website. Turns out this woman has been sailing, often single-handedly, around the world and her 32 foot sailboat is moored in the Mediterranean Sea. She has quite the impressive biography!!!

After spending about two hours, we all part ways, Mike to the market, me off on another one of my adventures. This time I take off on a slightly different route, in search of the mercado, or public market, that Mike showed me earlier in the day. I must have walked a mile but could not find the market that typically is frequented more by the locals, than the tourist. Another day I quess. I decided to see what activity was taking place down at the Parque de Juarez. Earlier in the week the Candalaria, or garden show, was taking place. Today there must have been ten times as many people there, selecting wonderful plants for their home gardens. Wheelbarrow were everywhere, some empty, some filled to the brim with gorgeous plants of all shapes and colors. I'd hope to have watched a ballet presentation that was to have taken place at 6pm, but the weather was looking like it could rain anytime.

I headed back to the town center, just as a wedding was finishing up. A band of about twelve smartly dressed musicians were playing at the edge of the church. I've always enjoyed the music of a marachi bands, as they are so lively. But it was really getting time to head back to the hacienda, as I could see rain squalls in the distant hills...and me without a coat. I quickly walk down to the big bus station about a mile away, catch one of the nicer busses to El Cortijo and five minutes later I'm headin' for home.

Spent the evening Mike and Magali watching the old version of the Manchurian Candidate with Frank Sinatra. Must also mention that Migali makes the best carrot bread in the world. She must think I never eat!!!

Images from today

Adios- Roberto

No comments: