Wednesday, December 9, 2009

MIsc. Ramblings

WARNING: This is a bit of a rambling expose and if your head spins around more than twice,  I might suggest taking a little Dramamine and starting over in about 20 minutes.

It's been a couple of very mellow days as I've set into a routine here. My favorite hotel (Hein Luong), restaurants (Paradise Cafe and others) and  breweries Louisiane Brewing Company Heres a link to their website - http://www.louisianebrewhouse.com.vn. It just a matter of how to fill up the time in between. One of my favorite pastimes while traveling is walking. I know that may seem mighty boring by most peoples standards, but when you travel by motorized vehicle, even by bike, you miss allot of what's happening on the street. The sights, the sounds, the smells...all  the subtle nuances. One of the things that amaze me in Vietnam, that I haven't experienced in other countries, are the number of people, both men and women, young and old that will engage me in a conversation,  sometimes the conversations are very short, but at least an effort is made.

Reminds me of a funny story as I was walking this afternoon, a long walk about 7 miles. It seemed the further I strayed from my hotel, the more I was drawn futher. I'll post some pictures here and I"m sure you will understand. Well anyway, I'm walking across a bridge crossing a watersay on a very narrow sidewalk. Coming towards me it this old man, at least 80, dressed in a worn dark tan suit. He says hello in a broken english and then sponntaneously grabs my hand, running his index finger from the tip of my right index finger to the base of my wrist and then raises both of his hands with all fingers extended...hmm...this is not the typical panhandling routine that I'm familiar with...he does it again...it clicks...he's telling me I'm 55 years old...I'm impressed, But like everyone here, he'd like a little something for his effort so I give him 10,000 Dong which is about 50 US cents. It buys a nice baguette sandwich with all the fixins' or a bottle of Saigon Green Beer.

Maybe this is also a good place to comment on how INEXPENSIVE things are here. One of the nicest
rooms I've stayed at in my 8 weeks of travel is only 7 dollars a night, complete with maid service, color tv, air conditioning and about 1 block away from the ocean. A pack of cigarettes is 4,000 dong or about a quarter. Confession time!!! I quit smoking over 25 years ago when the price of cigarettes hit a buck and now that hey are 25 cents...don't tell anyone, it's our little secret. If you see me with a cigarette in my hand back in Colville, I give you permission to unload a fire extinguisher on me.

I think this might also be a good time to relate a story of something that happened to me while
I was enjoying a early evening dinner at a streetside cafe in Vientiene, Laos. I see what obviously a crippled man, probably in his early 30's, wheeling a hand-propelled bicycle towards me. He gets off his bike and literally crawls over the curb and up to my table, with an outstretched hand. By this time, I'd pretty much seem them all and was becoming a bit too jaded when it came to people looking for handouts. I could have easily spent a days wages while in Cambodia giving money to the poor unfortunate victims of the landminds left scattered throughtout the countryside by the Pol Pot regime. So anyway, I extend a bill to him, I'm not sure how many Kip, the Cambodian equivalent to the dollar, it was, but I suspect maybe it was about 25 cents. He looks at it, much like a finicky cat would sniff cat food and crawls back over the curb, mounts his bike and wheels away, leaving me very dumbfounded. I guess even beggars have their standards

Rambling alert : Why is  the United States one of the few countries left in the world still supporting the use of land minds. They say it's because of it's the most effective way of keeping the border between the North and South Korea secure. I say "horse pitooey". It is such an indescriminate way of killing people, often many years later, often unsuspecting children who come across them and will actually play with them. It was a very strange experience for me to be walking around in Cambodia, especially around Siem Reap and the temples to NOT wander off the trail, even a yard or two. Ok, sorry got that off my chest...I feel better.

Here is a wiki link to cambodian landmines-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_mines_in_Cambodia

The Million Dollar Monk:


If I had penny for every time I heard a horn honk while in Vietnam,  I'd be a millionaire.
Rule of thumb, the louder the horn...the bigger the rig. You hear a very loud horn and it's close, you could be standing on the railroad tracks

If I had a million dollars for every Buddihist monk I've seen while here in Nha Trang...well I'd be a millionaire.

Quite a change from Cambodia, Lao or Thailand, to where I could see hundreds in just
one day.

 If I had 1/3 of a million dollars for every person here in Nha Trang that refused me service while
in Nha Trang I'd be a millionaire.
The first place in 8 weeks where I saw reverse discrimination...sort of humbles oneself and gives a better perspective when experienced in US. I guess I'm more surpriesed it didn't happen more, given the protracted nature of the American War, as they call it here.

 If I had a quarter for every motocycle I've seen since here...well you get the idea.
I wouldn't surprised if there were more motorcycles than people here, Read someplace

the population of Nha Trang is 300,000 people. How can they all be on the street at the same time.

I've taken some video and pix of all forms of transportation, the strangest to bikes separated about 20 feet apart carrying about 20 - thirty foot pieces of steel rebar strung between them. But here is the topper, while in Da Nang I actually saw a motorcyclist balancing a small refrigerator on the passenger seat, albeit a small one. Quite a feat.

After my walk today I have a great respect for Nha Trang, as it appears it's a town with a clear vision of where it wants to go. In much of the downtown corridor the sidewalks are wide, and mostly unobstructed, made of a very nice patterned tile. Turns out they even have ordinances about street signs that would normally obstruct pedestrians.


In most cities I've been to in SE Asia, it's near impossible to walk on the sidewalk, as they are typically blocked by street vendors selling a variety of wares, motorcycles, cars parked perpendicular to the sidewalk with the fenders nearly  touching the building's exterior.

While looking for a place to eat on my first night I was stopped by a Vietnamese woman, looking to show me the Paradise Restaurant's menu. Turns out she's the owner's ex aunt who is up from Saigon for a little R and R. She speaks very good english, and has a great way about her. In fact as I was writng this,  she just IM'd me on yahoo and it looks like I'll have the opportunity to see her while in Saigon. If you could see me now, I'm wearing a very big cheschire cat-like grin. Might need to extend my trip an extra week or two :) If she's a good cook, I think I'll bring her back to Colville and open up a Vietnamese Restaurant. Phung, if you are reading this...I'm serious :).

Speaking of restaurants, I decided to get something a little different today--Onion Rings sounded perfect. I waited for what seemed like eternity..ok at least a half hour. They finally arrived, five of them, cooked to perfection, with a batter I could only guess it's content. They were the best onion rings I'd ever eaten...without a drop of grease. I was tempted to go back in the kitchen and offer them 100 dollars for the recipe. BTW it's my understanding that the average Vietnamese citizen lives on only $200.00 per month. Which takes me to another story.

While at the Paradise Restaurant having dinner the second day I was there, talking with Phung, a gentlemen who appeared to be Vietnamese sat in behind  me, towards the street. I had my back to him and really didn't get a good look at him. Turns out that he's a friend of Phung's who also lives in Saigon. She went and sat with him, while I finished my dinner. I could barely hear their consersation above the street noise, but I could tell they were not speaking Vietnamese but instead English. How strange two vietnamese people would be speaking english. The closer I listened I swear to god I was listening to him speaking english with a Norwegian accent. Well it turns out his parents were killed when he was very young and he was adopted by a family from Norway. He now spends half the year in Vietnam and the other half in Norway. I let you figure out what time of the year he spends where. Oh...he was the one that told me about the average Vietnamese wage and many other things about the culture...with a norwegian twist.

Well...early day tomorrow. Supposed to go scuba diving, but it looks like I'm developing a bit of a head cold and from what I read...scuba and colds don't mix...so maybe just a day of some snorkeling.... Good night all....hope you enjoyed this!!!

No comments: